Re: [IRCA] 1100 Wobbler

Marty,

I failed in both my posts to use the proper signature lines which would
include a link to my Wobbler web site.  There you'll find more than you
ever wanted to know about the topic.

In brief, the Wobbler is not a station, it is an unexplained anomaly of
some Cuban broadcast stations.  When heard in its most vigorous mode it
sounds like a sheet of metal being shaken or wobbled, hence the name I
coined for the thing.  At its most extreme it can be heard at night over
powerhouse stations all across the country.  As I mentioned, such an
example on 1100 Radio Cadena Habana, from Havana Cuba, was heard in
Hawaii.  The northwest of the US has heard the Wobbler, but I don't think
anyone from California has reported hearing any.

There are a dozen or so Cuban stations which exhibit this unpredictable
condition.  There is no way to know when one or several might be heard,
though in the past there have been periods where one sounded off for
several days if not weeks at a time.  Every day since I started tracking
them -- well over a year now -- there has been at least one and usually a
half dozen or so heard every day, but very much weaker than can be heard
from beyond the near local south Florida vicinity.

You can read about the suggested cause of the phenomenon -- generally
believed to be attributable to malfunctioning old equipment and an unstable
power system.  You can also hear samples of it, and see spectrum traces of
the signal.  Plus, as I say, a lot more including my logs.

This time the link is in my signature as it should have been before.

Curt
-------
W. Curt Deegan
Boca Raton, (southeast) Florida