Re: [IRCA] [dxhub] FW: Tabletop Receivers

Re: [IRCA] [dxhub] FW: Tabletop Receivers

Rene:

  Because you are blessed with high-end receivers, why not go for something like the AOR 7030+ or a used Drake SW-8?  I think you'll be disappointed with the Icom's, as they are attenuated on BCB and have poor selectivity.  The AOR will allow you to use Collins filters!

  73,
  Ed NI6S

"R. F. Tetro" <rtetro@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
              Hi all,

  I am considering purchasing a new tabletop RX for DXing.  Currently I have three tabletop radios I use:  all are about 7-9 years old:  an NRD-535, an AOR5000, and a Watkins-Johnson HF-1000.  The WJ is my primary RX for MW DXing, and I?ve never found anything else that comes close.  But, as a rack-mounted RX, it is a bit bulky to take with me away from home for DXpeditions, weekends in the mountains, vacations, etc.  If I take a tabletop with me, it is usually the 535.  I am looking for something a little more updated that can stand up to travel and has good performance.

  I?ve been looking at a few radios, and right now I am leaning towards the ICOM R-75.  I know from others who own this radio that it performs well on HF, but I haven?t heard a lot about its MW performance.  I am also considering the new Icom PCR-1500 PC radio, but again I haven?t heard a lot about how well it works on MW.

  I know radios are a subjective thing, but I would be interested in seeing what you guys have experienced ? not necessarily theses models ? but what you think is a good all-round tabletop MW performer.

  73,
  Rene?

    Rene F. Tetro
Lansdale, PA, USA
W2FIL, WPXG816, WPXU288
Coordinates:  40D12'41"N  75D18'22"W
Grid:  FN20IF
Email:  rtetro@xxxxxxxxx
Moderator:  www.radioveronica.us and www.dxhub.com

__._,_.___   Messages in this topic (1) Reply (via web post) | Start a new topic

You are receiving Individual Emails Change Delivery Settings

    Visit Your Group

   Hobby photography
   Hobby toy
   Ham radio