Re: [IRCA] Emperor Gene Nelson / Wolfman Jack

Re: [IRCA] Emperor Gene Nelson / Wolfman Jack

Wolfman Jack's autobiography, "Have Mercy!: Confessions of the Original
Rock 'N' Roll Animal" is a great read. It is widely available new, used
and in libraries. For the two people who haven't read it yet, and
especially for those of us "of an age," another goodie is "Border Radio"
by Fowler and Crawford.
//////////
Bob, we are twin brothers from a different mother. I have both of those
books in my library and a picture of the Wolfman on my wall too. My
picture is one of the stills of him in the radio studio from American
Graffitti. Being from the midwest I listened to the Wolfman on XERF.
Although we were relatively poor, my dad converted a workshop in our
garage into a radio shack for me. With the help of a neighbor, who was a
very active ham radio operator, he put in two 40 foot surplus telephone
poles to support a 250 foot inverted L antenna. This was connected to a
brand new Hallicrafters S-120 AM and SW receiver purchased at Sears for
my birthday. On this setup XERF sounded like a local at night. My high
school classmates never believed me when I told them what the Wolfman
was saying on the radio. So I would invite them over to listen for
themselves. It got to the point where my radio shack was a popular
destination in the evenings.

Patrick Griffith, Westminster CO
http://community.webtv.net/N0NNK/
http://community.webtv.net/AM-DXer/