Re: [IRCA] [am] TA season, BOGs etc etc

> << > Anyone ever do a side by side comparison of small vs. larger gauge
>  > wire?
>
>  We are using heavier wire at Long Beach Island, and while we've neither
>  made any comparisons nor any measurements, our experiences indicate
>  that for BOG's on the sand at least, anything in excess of 1000'
>  resulted in diminishing returns. We've largely settled on about 800'
>  after using lengths from 500 to 1500' in the past.
>
> What if you can elevate the wire? Tree to tree through some woods or bush
> bush? Even lay it on top of tall grass?

Then it's a BAG, not a BOG.  Beverage Above Ground.  The added height may
well increase the velocity of propagation in the wire, making a longer
length practical.  That is the classic configuration as made by Beverage
himself.

OK, how about two 800' wires parallel to each other and maybe a couple
hundred feet apart?  Put them into a phaser, and you likely would be able to
steer the lobe some number of degrees side to side.  Also walk the nulls
around on the sides and back.

I've wondered about adding small fixed inductances maybe every ten feet to
artificially slow the velocity of propagation through the wire. Never tried
it though.  The idea comes from the center-loaded vertical antenns that are
popular on many bands.

I've been experimenting with the lossy coax antenna.  Maybe I should get
some well-shielded stuff and use the snake antenna to experiment using a
phaser.  Set two terminated 150' lengths out parallel, and combine with a
phaser through well-shielded coax jumpers.  I don't think any external
grounds would be needed at all.

Craig Healy
Providence, RI