Re: [IRCA] TA season

At 16:26 05/08/2006, you wrote:
>Nick,
>
>Back in the early 80s, I remember a dandy TA opening. I called a few
>people including Dave Williams. They were all over the dial. But only
>the one African (Algeria 891) I noted. Several Germans were in including
>756, 873, 1017, 1044, etc. I had them all over the car radio. I would
>love to have another one of those openings!

Well, maybe this coming season,  Patrick, but the odd thing about
that opening, and the one that followed in the spring, was that it
was near the peak of the sunspot cycle.   But I think they could be
described as last really good TA openings in the NW, comparable to
the mid seventies and mid sixties...the winter of 1996 and last
season were pretty nice, but they weren't delivering Turkey and
Bulgaria and such, which 1980 did.  Of course, interference levels
were lower then.

best wishes,

Nick