Re: [IRCA] TA season, BOGs etc etc

Your thoughts about Mauritania 783 and propagation to the Pacific NW are the
same as mine. Also, I think there are times where Norway 1314 was being
decently received in the NW, blasting as usual into NE but lousy here in IL
likely due to southern edge of AU donut absorbtion. Off course, other times
1314 has been nearly armchair on the DX setup and I can reasonably listen to
it on my TRF. I think I am too close(13 miles) to WBBM to have a chance at
783. I can tell there's a carrier sometimes in bad bad slop, but no chance
for audio. Now up north in WI (93 miles) from WBBM, I have a decent
het/carrier, and may be able to pull audio on the right night

I almost always have a 891 het on WLS noticable here about 45 miles NNW of
their tx but that may commonly (not always) get absorbed at the higher
latitude path to the Pac NW. They now have poor modulation level so audio
isn't common. 621 Canaries often hets WTMJ and once in a while I can raise
SS audio when WTMJ is phased.

I hope to be able to start the TA season here earlier this year, as almost
any construction on my property will be completed by mid fall. I also will
try a NE BOG (360 feet or so) in the back half of my property further away
from the horrid powerline noise. As usual I will sing the praises of BOGs,
and when I put down the TA BOG last January in my eastern field, 349 ft at
42.2 degrees, even though much of the dial was often very noisy, I sometimes
had more than 1 TA on some channels, and sometimes had 30-40 channels with
at least audio traces and weak carriers detectable on most every other TA
channel. This was in sharp contrast to using the Kiwa Loop or using my E-W
BOGs off the back end (unterminated so as not to further reduce eastern
signals).

If the back half of my property is more quiet, I suspect that I can do quite
well on TA's this year. When I tried the other direction back there (towards
TX,Mex ) in March/early April, it was considerably more quiet. To leave this
proposed wire out permanently, I need to wait 'til Nov when we won't be
cutting the grass anymore and when we won't be playing tennis, since it goes
across my court.

I will also be able to put a BOG from my new driveway about 450 long and
about 60 deg (right at Spain) but won't be able to leave it permanently, and
it will be in the noisy area. However, I think I will find the 42 deg wire
more useful as I have many Spaniards heard over the years (used to phase a
430 mini-Bev at 50 deg vs a 650 foot mini Bev at 67.5 deg back when I had
zero line noise about 6 to11 years ago. The 42 deg wire nulls easterly
clears quite decently and especially on the high end so France 1557 doesn't
suffer huge Disney 1560 slop. CINF Montreal at about 67.4 deg is lots
stronger than similar distance low band NYC 50 KWers at about 91 deg to show
an example of directivity even on low band for what is not a long antenna.

I believe Dennis mentioned wanting to run a 1000 to 2000 ft BOG. Now your
mileage may vary based on ground underneath, but here in the midwest I have
found that about 900 feet is about as long as I want a BCB BOG due to
excessive ground losses which end up harming the pattern, filling in nulls,
etc. I do plan a near parallel test of about 1000 to 1050 ft vs my usual 475
footer (97 deg..WABC in daytimes prior toWBBM IBOC etc) BOG in Wisconsin,
once I get some underbrush cleared. I suspect that 2000 feet could kick butt
on longwave but if right on the ground could be poor for BCB.

I know that I can sound like a broken record and unfortunately not all of us
live semi-rural on 5 acres so we all don't have enough room. But when I
layed down my first BOG almost 5 years ago, my DXing life here changed for
the much better. A 625 foot BOG (as close to on the ground (dirt and low cut
grass) as I could get it) CLEARLY outperform a // 625 foot 8 ft high
mini-Bev except on the extremely high end of BCB as far as directivity and
station pulling ability. The mini-Bev had 10-15 dB more signal, but lots
more QRM due to worse directivity. Now when one gets down to shorter wires
like 350 feet, an elevated wire has tons of signal but isn't all that
directive and has huge signals off the back end (I tested one about 4.5 ft
high, straight as an arrow for 325 feet) while a BOG right on the ground,
has fine directivity and is a much better DX antenna in any QTH with lots of
QRMing stations.

73 KAZ Barrington IL