[IRCA] India 1566 reaffirmed by Adam Brower

[IRCA] India 1566 reaffirmed by Adam Brower

Here`s Adam Brower`s reply to previous comments, as compiled in DXLD 6-108. He
has not yet seen the latest comments which I have compiled into DXLD 6-109,
coming out shortly. 73, Glenn Hauser

** INDIA. Re DXLD 6-108: Hello Glenn: Well! quite a flapdoodle!

First, ref. "Brazilians on 1570..." yes, wishful thinking indeed. Note that I
didn't say I'd *logged* any! But I know they broadcast on that frequency, so
the night before I had been dialing around there.  :)  I mentioned it only as
context for my listening on 1 MHz in the first place. I was experimenting with
antennas, and what better test than a low power Brazilian? never heard
anything, though.

As for ID of the station I heard, "this is All India Radio" is what I heard. It
was thready, but clear. I heard the *same* ID via dxtuners's
Rommele site an hour later. So I'm *certain* Nagpur is what I heard,
and the fade characteristics were consistent with what I've heard
in other instances of skip.

When I logged in to dxtuners to consult their logging database, Brad had just
tuned to 1566 with the note "we seem to have India here!" In fact, another
listener there commented that the station was "heard round the world,"
inferring (I thought) that it was no big deal. Well, maybe it's no big deal in
Sweden with eight selectable EWE's ... but this indicates that the path was
open then (2130) too, at least to Sweden. I'll bet someone else, somewhere,
logged the station, and recorded it.

My email to you did contain one grievous typo, though. The date
was 7/21, not 6/21.

No one wishes more than I that I were set up to record, but I wasn't,
and I'm not, yet. Soon, though. The chances of hearing that same
lightning in a bottle approach nil, of course, but I'd like to be ready.

[aside] what would you suggest for a recording setup? I'm taking
audio out of the 390A via the diode load.

Don't know whether this might shed some light on the propogation path, but my
antenna was oriented a few degrees east of north, which indicates a polar
route. At that hour, most of that path was in daylight, of course, further
contributing to the incomprehensibility
of the occurrence.

My own feeling is that what I heard belongs in a compendium of the works of
Charles Fort --- right up there with raining frogs. What it illustrates to me
is that anything can happen at least once. But as to whether I heard it: I did!

I read with fascination the conjectures of the contributors on the
possible explanations. I wish I had an explanation, but my understanding of
such matters is nowhere near on a par with Neil Kazaross's, or yours, so
anything I can posit will be of limited value. What I do know for certain is
that I'm hooked again. And hopefully any subsequent contributions of mine will
not strain anyone's credulity!

Thanks for all your hard work. DXLD is the best read on the subject ---  and
not only because my name is mentioned  :) Regards, (Adam Brower, IL, July 25,
DX LISTENING DIGEST)

Here's me 2 cents worth as to India making it to the American Midwest --- even
in broad daylight, something can occur, and my best evidence is a 1976 episode
"Darkness at Noon" where if you were a DXer then and like me home during the
day, you vividly can recall hearing stations in Europe on 49 meters for a 4 or
5 day period at 1230 PM local time, in broad daylight. So I refuse to poo poo
the reception --- based on 'Darkness at Noon' I do think 1566 may have indeed
shown up as claimed. 73s (Bill Bergadano, KA2EMZ, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

Bill, Was that in the middle of the winter, or summer? Winter, it could happen
since there is mostly or at least partially dark path. 73, (Glenn to Bill, via
DXLD)

Looking at my log from that period, it was April 20-26, 1976 (Bill Bergadano,
ibid.) So neither here nor there (gh)