Re: [IRCA] Vehicle electrical noise

> I have two Dodge Carivans, my old 89 with 255K now on it and the igition
> and other vehicle noises are very low. But on the 97 Dodge Carivan, I
> get more igition noise, especially on the bottom part of the band. Any
> thoughts on why? The old 89 has always been fairly quiet. Of course the
> 97 has more computer stuff, but the noise I get seem to be igition
> noise.

Could be a deteriorating set of ignition wires, and an increase in the spark
plug gap due to wear.  That takes higher voltage to jump the gap, and makes
more noise.  If the noise has always been there, it's probably not a
maintenance issue.

One thing I have found is using a longer than stock antenna mounted in the
back of the vehicle reduces noise.  Make sure it's good coax, and I have
found that wrapping a few turns of that coax through a ferrite choke (Radio
Shack part) can also help.

Bonding the body, hood and other parts to the engine, and that to the frame
or unibody helps.  And, bonding the exhaust system to the frame in a few
places can also help.  Redusing vehicle ignition noise is kind of a black
art.  These methods are used in the radio package on police cars.  I've also
tried putting shields over the distributor cap and plug wires, but it's
seldom effective.  Military vehicles have special spark plugs and wiring
that are shielded with thread-on connections.  I haven't seen these for sale
in years.

I am looking for a Cummins 4BT diesel to swap into my Blazer.  It will
eliminate the ignition system, and add 10mpg to my mileage.  Kind of a
radical way to kill the ignition noise. (grin)

Craig Healy
Providence, RI