Re: [IRCA] How local IS WBZ?

--- Chuck Hutton <charlesh3@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> Russ:
>
> IBOC currently uses 1/8 (roughly) the power of the analog part. The
> IBOC
> coverage depends on who you believe, but let's just say a radius of
> 1/2 the
> analog coverage. That's a bit below what iBiquity says in their test
> reports, but let's take a worst case for a second.
>
> To get the same coverage, we'd need 4 times the current IBOC power.
> That
> means IBOC coverage would be on par with analog at 1/2 the analog
> power.
>
> People will argue it will take 1/5 or 1/4 or 1/3 or 2/3, but - given
> equal
> power output - IBOC will be usable at a lower signal to noise level
> than
> analog.
>
> Now you know I'm not in favor of IBOC and have done a little thing or
> two to
> fightthe fight, but I do feel obliged to attack it only as much as
> necessary.

*** I was of course exaggerating with the 'megawatts' comment, but
wasn't one of the big advantages pitched for IBOC initially the use of
substantially less power ?

If, for argument's sake, we postulate that 1/2 analog power is 'the
number' for a non-DA, and probably something more than that for some
DA's and perhaps something less for others, just to get roughly the
same coverage ( forgetting the ongoing argument about who cares about
what level of georgaphic coverage ), then here again we have the
reality being rather less attractive than the hype.

And I suspect that in the hybrid mode, getting the digitial portion up
to 1/2 the analog power may not be even possible.

Russ Edmunds
Blue Bell, PA  ( 360' ASL )
[15 mi NNW of Philadelphia]
40:08:45N; 75:16:04W, Grid FN20ID