Re: [IRCA] [ABDX] KLIB-1110 off the air

The FCC hasn't allowed it - yet. Anybody can file a petition with the
FCC asking for pretty much anything, and at this point this is still in
the petition stage.

The argument that the petitioners are making is that the FCC has
effectively (if not efficiently) given up on the X band. Since the
initial window for X-band migration, which was more than a decade ago,
there have been no more filing windows for new X-banders, and large
parts of the country still have no local service on the X-band. Some of
the stations given the opportunity to move (940 Fresno, for instance)
decided to stay put on the existing band, and others (1700 Miami) tried
the X-band but decided they were better off keeping their old facility
and returning the X-band. So the conclusion they come to is that the
original purpose of the X-band migration - reducing interference on the
existing band - was not fulfilled.

Working from that premise, they argue that the public interest is better
served by allowing the handful of existing band stations that would have
to go silent to stay on the air instead.

I think the best case they'll have is in places like Madison, where the
move of WTDY 1480 to 1670 freed up 1480 to become the city's first and
only Spanish station. Remember, this - like everything at the FCC - is
all about politics in the end, and it doesn't look good for the FCC to
be "silencing" the city's only Spanish radio voice.

And even if these stations are silenced, at the next major change window
someone's bound to apply for similar facilities anyway. (It already
happened in the 2004 window for the very few frequencies - 1370 Sussex
WI and 1390 in Des Moines, for instance - that had already been vacated
during the transition.) So that's another nail in the "interference
reduction" argument.