Re: [IRCA] Move of CHNS-960 Halifax NS to FM (89.9, 100kW) approved by CRTC

Re: [IRCA] Move of CHNS-960 Halifax NS to FM (89.9, 100kW) approved by CRTC

> > I wonder if it would be possible for the US station to
> > "lease" this coverage from the Canadian station?
>
> I'm thinking no, and here's why:
>
> The Canadian licensing scheme is significantly weirder than ours (which
> is saying something!)
>
> There are actually two agencies involved: the CRTC, which determines
> who's qualified to be a licensee and handles all programming-related
> matters, and Industry Canada, which is responsible for the spectrum.

OK.  Substitute CRTC or Industry Canada for "Canadian station"..

> Once the old AM license is gone, Industry Canada continues to notify its
> former facilities to the FCC and other international regulators, and
> even though that notification (at least in the FCC's database) carries
> the former station's callsign, the old licensee has nothing at all to do
> with it.
>
> Now, if Industry Canada wanted to work out some sort of arrangement,
> that might be feasible...

I don't think it really matters who signs the lease or gets the check in
Canada.  It's a way to make some money and promote better use of the
spectrum.  My first job in radio was with WSAR-1480 in Fall River, MA in
1970.  At that time they were DA-2 with a null around 40 degrees nights to
protect a Canadian station that wasn't on the air.  For some reason, that
allocation was deleted. WSAR was able to eliminate that null and go DA-1.
There must be dozens of these situations, all potential revenue sources.

Craig Healy
Providence, RI