Re: [IRCA] AM Down the Road

Gee whiz, I'm starting to sound like a starry-eyed broken record I know.

I know what Pat Martin means about how he'd like to see things somewhat like they used to be on AM.  Maybe that's a small percentage why I don't listen as much as I once did.  I can remember, when I was in high school, setting my alarm for 3 am every Monday morning.  I knew that when I awoke and turned the radio on, most of the clear channels would be just that...clear except for a few stations in between Kentucky and the west coast that stayed on the air.  Take 1550 khz, by 3 am, all that was left on was KKHI in San Francisco.  They were all alone on 1550.  Or, on 1020 khz, KGBS was all that was still on.  Not to mention all the regional channel stations that had signed off.  So, we had this 2 or 3 hour window of opportunity during which you never knew what goodie might be coming in.  It was worth missing sleep and feeling like crud in school the next day.  Even local WHAS used to sign off on Monday mornings and if I am not wrong, they signed off every night.  I don't think any locals stayed on all night on Sunday night/Monday morning here in Louisville.

1550 khz was an especially interesting frequency.  I never heard Australia, though, some dx'ers managed to hear Australia on Monday mornings.  I'll never forget the call, 4QD in Emerald, Australia.  I once heard KORL in Honolulu on 650, though I can't imagine that ever happening again unless the band changes.

I know this sounds like not being able to bring back the past, however, dx'ers who listened during that era and before have marvelous tales to tell.

DX can still be heard today and fortunately stations in other hemispheres broadcast on split frequencies.  That has always been a blessing.

I'm outta steam for now. 73 - Jim Nall, Louisville