Re: [IRCA] Search machines on the Internet [OT?]

Re: [IRCA] Search machines on the Internet [OT?]

At 10:20 PM 3/23/2006, you wrote:
Hi Charles,
I'm one of the dim-wits when it comes to Google.  Apparently there is more
information than one could ask for. I would guess your name is common. Mines
is more common than I would have thought., hi. I'm sure one of the other
DX'ers out there knows all the in's-and out's of google and maybe they'll
chime in. They'll help us both. I've typed in people I know and get a
response now and then but that's it. I suppose, if I knew how to do it
right, I'd find out who my relatives were 1000 years ago, hi. I'm green to
alot of things, but then again, I could teach a few things if it were along
the lines of what I'm interested in.....
73- Doug

Doug,

The Internet is a marvelous thing and I could spend endless hours doing anything and everything. Shopping, working on applications on my PC, e-mailing, researching anything and everything. Expanding my mind. But I'm stymied by sorting thru millions of returns
for the simplest of quieries. And that's frustrating.

And that's why it's absolutely necessary I learn to use a good search machine properly.

An example: I was looking for alternatives to Sprint for local telephone service, and looked in the Sprint Yellow Pages. I espied an advert for "@ Communications Inc." with a phone number to
call. Since I can't talk for the time being, I went to Google and entered that under "exact phrase" figguring that the "@" alone would do it. WRONG!!

I must have gotten back, quite literally, 56 million returns.

However, nearly all of the first responses were for a company consisting of a merger of AT&T and SBC. I gave up in absolute frustration, thinking I'd never get a proper answer thru Google.

But by the way, It occurred to me after bedtime that "@" would be a clever shortening of "AT&T.

Nonetheless, a quick check on one of the responses which asked for my area code "252" said no service was available. What the...
What's going on here?

So I'll maybe have Leonor call the listed number and ask for a website. But that's kinda like cheating, because I'm using a phone call to get the necessary info.

If I knew how to use a search machine properly, I could find out everything I need to know about "@...." But I don't.

And I just wasted more than one hour writing about it.

73 de Charlie