Re: [IRCA] AM down the road

This whole IBOC thing mystifies me.  Why bother when excellent sound quality can be had on FM.  Why bother when AM radio is so slanted towards "talk" as opposed to "music".  To me it seems like it is one of those things being done just because it can be done.

I've always been plenty happy with the sound quality on AM radio.   When I was in high school, before I knew better, listening to rock music on AM was very satisfying and I thought it sounded great.  Of course, once having listened to music on FM radio, I appreciated the improved fidelity.  Every mode seems to serve a purpose.  FM for sound quality, CW for distance and being able to punch through effectively, SSB similar to CW except that sound quality suffers and AM for it's ability to cover distance and still sound adequate.

I'm with Nick in that I will have an interest in AM dx'ing to my dying day.  Once a bug bites, I am smitten forever.  MW, amateur  radio, shortwave, photography,  motorcycling, etc...I alternate between them.   Amateur radio comes and goes with respect to my pursuit of the hobby.  Same with MW and my other interests.  I always come back to each one.

As long as AM stations are profitable, no matter what they broadcast, they will likely stay around.  I just miss the little mom and pop operations in Smallville, USA that had live home-grown announcers playing hits.  My favorite example of this is WSTL, 1600 in Eminence, KY.  That stations has a new callsign, which I have trouble remembering, and is part of some network.  Does the new program format serve the community of Eminence more effectively?  Who knows.

73,
Jim