Re: [IRCA] AM down the road

First, I must apologize...I did NOT mean to reply with history in my last post.  Sheesh, I've done that once before.  I get a slap on the wrist.

When it comes to nostalgia, well, that's right up my alley - LOL.

Back in the days when my ankles, knees, etc. didn't sound like a bowl of Rice Krispies.

For sure, you can't go back.  Though, sometimes in life things go in cycles and not just the 11 year sunspot cycle.  There are websites around that glorify AM radio's past, lamenting how things have changed.  My grandkids don't even think about radio much, they both have IPOD's and can listen to whatever they want whenever they want.  Both really good kids with the latest technology at their fingertips.  Why listen to radio when there is so much other technology around?

When I was a kid, a simple AM radio was the latest and greatest technology.  The only other choices to occupy my  free time was television (black & white) and playing with my friends.  Things were even less interesting for my father when he was a kid.  Radio was around but he was too busy fending for himself, his mother, brothers and sister.  When he joined the Army during World War II is when he became associated with electronics and radio.  He listened to AM radio while in the Pacific theater and used to tell me stories about picking up stuff from the United States.  Though he was primarily interested in staying alive and doing his assigned duties as a member of the Signal Corp.

What those of us who dx'ed back in the 1960's and earlier got a taste of was the end of an era with respect to AM radio dx'ing.  Not to say that dx'ing today isn't still fun.  Like I said before, better equipment now and better communication amongst people who dx.  More tools available to today's dx'er.  Also more RFI.

73,
Jim