Re: [IRCA] OT: Diefenbaker and now the Maple Leaf

Re: [IRCA] OT: Diefenbaker and now the Maple Leaf

I can't help myself...

Maybe we should point out who (ahem...) won the war of 1812 (heh, heh).

A Halifax-based raid attacked Washington and burned the Executive Mansion on
Pennsylvanie Avenue.  After the fire it was so sooted and blackened that
they had to paint it with whitewash.....and since that time it has been
referred to as "The White House."

But it was still a friendly war at times.  On July 4, during the war, the
Americans in Calais, Maine, were out of gunpowder and needed to celebrate
Independence Day.  The New Brunswick town of St. Stephen, across the St.
Croix River, had a large stockpile of ammo placed there by the British Army
to defend against American attack.  The townsfolk of St. Stephen gave their
gunpowder to Calais so their friends across the border could have a proper
July 4th party.

For the last 200 years the two towns have been very close friends, sending
fire trucks and ambulances across the border frequently to help each other
out, sharing a water system, and lots of family ties.  It is a great
internation success story.

And, to try to keep this on a radio theme, WQDY in Calais served both
communities, as St. Stephen did not have a radio station of its own.  WQDY
ran Canadian news, did Atlantic time zone time checks, gave the weather in
both F and C, etc.

Brent Taylor
Doaktown, NB
(less than two hours from Calais-St. Stephen)