Re: [IRCA] Radio Swan and other gastly memories

Re: [IRCA] Radio Swan and other gastly memories

IRCA Crew,

>>Naturally, I heard R. Swan and the later Radio Américas. I got a verie from the latter and
>>from its jammer, CMBQ-1162 Radio Enciclopedia Popular, La Havana.
>>Nice memories, up to a point.
I not sure that 'nice' is the correct word. BUT, surely exciting. I thought it was neat to hear spy broadcasting on my AM radio.

>>I was a teenager going to Scecina Memorial HS in Indianapolis. I remember Pres. John F.
>>Kennedy delivering the orders to embargo Cuba and the ensuing "Cuban Missile Crisis."
I was out of high school by that time and trying not to get drafed. As I look back to those days I now believe that Kennedy was, perhaps, the best president this country has had in the last 125 years. BUT, why did he let the Bay od Pigs invasion force die on the beaches of Cuba? Interesting if you know the history.

Later I did my time in the navy. Proud of it!!!!

>>What wasn't pleasant was knowing:
>>1. Indiana National Guard elements had been placed on full alert,
>>2. Naval Avionics Facility, Indianapolis [I later was employed there], was a probable
>>   nuclear target of the USSR,
>>3. The world was on the brink of a nuclear war.
I seem to remember that Texas national guard was also on allert. Remember in early 50's (1952) when they had the scool kids practice getting under their desk in the event of a nuclear attack? Please explain to me, just how is a small wooden
desk going tp protect you from a 1 megaton bomb? If it really worked we all should get us one or two desk for our homes.

I will inject a though here about JFK, I was in downtwon Dallas the day he was murdered. I had taken off from work to go down and see the parade, I got to be within some 10 feet of the president. And NO Johnson had nothing to do with his murder!

>>I lived in constant fear that week. I was one scared kid. The psychological scars remain to this day. And I remain a low-
>>level mental rebel to this day. I was angry that the rest of my fellow students at Scecina seemed not to have a clue that >>anything unusual was occurring. All other HS student associates from other schools had the same cluelessness,
>>except for a few fellow DXers.
WHY? I was very concerned about the events, however, I wasn't afraid. My parents, though, were terrified.
The scaredist I have been in my life was 1979, gold went 1,000 dollars an ounce, (thanks to the peanut man) or so, I just knew the U.S. was headed for collaps. Many reasons for why I was scared is beyond the scope of this list.

>>Another unpleasant thought is that history eventually proved me right. All I did was use my
>>SW receiver and hear the heavy military voice traffic on various frequencies. And a certain
>>sixth sense.

>>For you younger MWDXers:
>>1. The military set up a 1040-kHz, 50-kW transmitter that carried VOA's running Spanish
>>translation of Kennedy's speech. Saddle Bunch or Sugar Loaf Key, I think the location was.
It was Sugar Loaf Key

>>2. Other stations carrying VOA's running Spanish translation of Kennedy's speech, were:
>>a. WWL-870
WWL has been used by the CIA many times over the years.

 b. WSB-750
In Dallas, WSB was hard to hear. They didn't put a lot of signal in the Texas direction.

c. KGBT-1530 Harlingen (Texas) on probable day facilities. KGBT absolutely ripped
>>the then WCKY-1530 Cincinnati to shreds.     At the conclusions of VOA's running Spanish translation of Kennedy's >>speech,  KGBT went to its night-time facilities and TOTALLY disappeared.   I have a verie letter/QSL from KGBT for
>>this SSA!
Congrats, Charlie, on your QSL.

73's

Willis, K4APE