Re: [IRCA] Radio Swan and other gastly memories

Re: [IRCA] Radio Swan and other gastly memories

> 1. The military set up a 1040-kHz, 50-kW transmitter that carried VOA's
> running Spanish
>     translation of Kennedy's speech. Saddle Bunch or Sugar Loaf Key, I
> think the location was.
> 2. Other stations carrying VOA's running Spanish translation of Kennedy's
> speech, were:
>     a. WWL-870
>     b. WSB-750
>     c. KGBT-1530 Harlingen (Texas) on probable day facilities. KGBT
> absolutely ripped
>           the then WCKY-1530 Cincinnati to shreds.

Not that I can remember it, but during the Cuban missile crisis the CBC
radio network stayed on air 24 hours, rather than signing off at 0105
local time.

If you're in the Ottawa area, you can visit the "Diefenbunker", named for
John Diefenbaker, a former Prime Minister who went to his grave trying to
preserve the Red Ensign (Canada's former flag).
http://www.diefenbunker.ca/
This National Historic Site of Canada, located outside the capital city of
Ottawa, is an underground nuclear bunker built in secrecy during the
height of the Cold War between 1959 and 1961, and was meant to house the
top officials of the government and military during the risk of nuclear
attack.   It even has a CBC radio studio, and a ham radio station VE3CWM
(Cold War Museum).

I miss the Cold War!  Canada v. Russia hockey games and the Olympics just
aren't the same without the Free World v. Not-so-free world competition!

73

Mike Brooker
Toronto, ON