Re: [IRCA] New logging - 870 KJMP CO in OR

Craig Healy wrote:

> The FCC database shows 870 as KHNR and 50kw directional, same pattern day
> and night.  It's a cardioid with a null to the NE.
>
> http://www.fcc.gov/ftp/Bureaus/MB/Databases/AM_DA_patterns/41415-3136.pdf

There's some weirdness going on out there on 870. The long-term plan is
to move the station to 880 to get it out of the way of Salem's upgrade
to KRLA 870 in Los Angeles. (Salem is making similar shifts to the
Hawaii stations on 1170 and 1210, moving them to 1180 and 1230 so it can
boost power at KCBQ and KPRZ in San Diego.)

The 50 kW operation has been gone for a few years now, ever since the
previous owner (which I believe was an arm of the Billy Graham
association) shut down the AM side, citing huge power bills, and sold
KAIM and KAIM-FM to Salem. At the time, it appeared that 870 was silent
for good, but Salem later put the station back on, initially
(reportedly) on a diplex with another one of the Honolulu stations from
a site on Oahu.

Their renewal application, filed in January, says they're once again
using the Molokai two-tower site, but with only a kilowatt. I can't
imagine that gets over to Oahu all that well. If anyone would like to
help fund a research expedition, I'd be DELIGHTED to take a trip to find
out for myself :-)