Re: [IRCA] IRCA DX Tests

I'd like to assure the membership that in all cases, we start off asking
stations for tests under "ideal" conditions for DX'ers. That being the
following:

A.) Four to six weeks of notice to allow for print publication notice.
B.) Full daytime power and antenna patterns.
C.) Lots of code, sweep tones, etc.
D.) Station handling QSL chores with a commitment to follow through.

But since this is the "real world", we often have to compromise on
some or all of those points. My personal soapbox on these issues
is equally short:

A.) It's up to DX'ers to adapt to the changing environment of radio. That
means
getting on-line, using new techniques, and staying informed of rapidly
changing events.

B.) Treat stations and their staff with "kid gloves" at all times. When in
doubt,
err on the side of maintaining future relationships for the good of the
hobby,
even if it means disappointment for you as an individual.

C.) Any DX test is better than none.

My retort isn't directed at J.D. or any individual, but I think that more
than a few DX'ers want to be "spoon fed". DXing isn't for wimps---and
logging new rare
ones is supposed to hard work. Gone are the days when radio stations courted
distant listeners. Gone are the days when people would operate their
businesses or personal lives on a schedule that would allow for printed
publications to have the lead time they require. Gone are the days when
stations felt some sort of obligation to reply to a very small group of
hobbyists.

Deal with it.

Or as Don Henley put it so well... "Get over it".

I'll step off the soapbox now. Just lined up another DX test, and need to
send
out some test material for the station.

73 and Good DX,

Les Rayburn, N1LF
NRC/IRCA Broadcast Test Coordinator
Please call anytime 24/7 if your transmitter
will be off the air for maintenance.
(205) 253-4867