[IRCA] Drake R8 front panel displays in Klingon... briefly

[IRCA] Drake R8 front panel displays in Klingon... briefly

Drake R8 display looked like Klingon on power-up this morning

 - I knew I should have taken a picture of this!

On power-up this morning, my Drake R8 display looked rather bizarre.
It has been really cold and really dry the last few days - lots of static in the air.
Power cycling from the front panel did nothing -- the receiver was picking
up everything as normal - yet the display looked, well, wierd.

Pulling the plug and re-powering the Drake cleared the condition - Whew!

Seriously though, Victoria is in the middle of its once annual
cold-snap. Temperatures have dropped to a bone chilling -1 Celcius (about 30F).
With winds in the range of 70 to 90km/hour, the wind-chill is something in
the order of -90 (air freezes in contact with itself), shuffling around the
house with rubber-soled slippers means body-voltage potential (Earth to Ground)
is in  the order of megavolts... and the Drake R8, (obviously) self-charged
itself up enough to power its flux-capacitor backwards in time to
a pre-IBOC period somewhere in 1986.

Gingerly yanking the wall-plug of the Drake brought it back
into normal time-phase.

Colin Newell in Victoria B.C. Canada
Safe and sound in 2006 - Drake R8, Wellbrook ALA100...