Re: [IRCA] [NRC-AM] US AM by state

Amdxmail@xxxxxxx wrote:

> IL:   The FCC still lists the three Chicago sharetimers on 1240.  WSBC
> bought out the other two back in the late 1990's!  Only WSBC was counted.

This is one of the weirdest situations I've run across in a long time.
WSBC definitely bought out WEDC and WCRW a while back, and every time
I've been in Chicago and listened, the ID has been for WSBC. But they've
continued to file renewal apps for the other two licenses, and the chief
engineer there has told me that all three licenses ARE active.

I've heard some speculation that they keep the share-time situation
active so they can use whichever transmitter site is closest to the
ethnic population being served at any given time of the day. One of
these days, I'll have to go to Chicago, visit the chief there and find
out for sure.

> 4712 grand total:  You'll find this number to be several dozen shy of
> the totals that the FCC periodically releases.  This has been the case
> for decades.  I suspect they count Puerto Rico, the U.S. Virgin Islands,
> Guam, etc. in their totals.  Or maybe it IS the U.S. only, and they
> include Construction Permits in the total.

I believe the total from the FCC does include PR, USVI, Guam, etc.