Re: [IRCA] TA's Last Night

On Friday 27 January 2006 11:35, J999w@xxxxxxx wrote:
> I'm far from an expert, but you can have propagation skewed to a more
> southerly path that avoids the auroral circle. This is noted frequently
> on HF so I can imagine MW can have this as well.

I've noticed this as well... although the increased geomagnetic activity
caused expansion of the auroral oval and increased absorption within it,
more southerly paths that skirt the auroral zone can actually be enhanced.
Why?  I have no idea. :-)

Last night was the best high-band TA conditions I've seen for some time.
What really caught my attention was the big hets, and often some audio,
on channels where I don't often hear much of anything, such as 1224, 1287,
1296, 1404, 1413, 1458, and 1602.  Nearly all those that produced audio
proved to be Spanish, except for 1458, which was likely Albania (on
1457.984).

While I'm here, I'll remind y'all of the #mwdx IRC channel on StarChat...
it would've been interesting to compare notes with others last night, but
it's been very quiet there of late.

Barry

--
Barry McLarnon VE3JF  Ottawa, ON