Re: [IRCA] TA's Last Night

--- "J.D. Stephens" <jdstephens_99@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I was intrigued by all the TA loggings from Central
> and Eastern Europe posted last night.  I noticed that
> the A index was 24 and K was 2.  I thought with such
> conditions, that TA propagation would be fairly
> nonexistent.  Obviously, I was wrong on that.
>
> Can anybody send me a good explanation (in layman's
> terms) of how such as a high A index can favorably
> effect TA reception conditions?  Sending replies to me
> off-list would probably be good for this discussion.

1) The A=24 was very sudden. Propagation is also a function of
long-term conditions, and since those had been quite good, the sudden
increase in the A didn't have an immediate effect.
2) It could also be that the A reacted to a temporary and short-lived
disturbance which caused a spike which wasn't sufficient to have much
effect.

I'm at work and therefore unable to check what the values have been since...

Russ Edmunds
Blue Bell, PA  ( 360' ASL )
[15 mi NNW of Philadelphia]
40:08:45N; 75:16:04W, Grid FN20ID