Re: [IRCA] Wobbler 1100, again.

Bob,

I've taken a slightly different tack listening to the Wobbler, based on
your observations about fading.

I recently was forced to upgrade my PC -- the old one died -- and my new
one has a rather over ambitious sub woofer, producing interesting results
when connected to my RX-320.

What I have noticed is that when the 1100 RCH audio is coming in well, the
Wobbler has a very obvious low frequency component that rumbles almost
continuously, moving to higher tones when the wobbles become more
extreme.  When RCH has faded out in preference to another station, while
there may still be very loud and obvious higher pitched wobbles, the low
rumble is more subdued.

What this tells me is that the basic fluctuations of the carrier which
account for the rumble become less dominant in favor of heterodynes off
other signals on and near the frequency, which produces higher pitched tones.

Based on this it does seem to me that as the underlying 1100 carrier fades
out, so to does the direct affect of the Wobbler -- not nearly so much as
the RCH audio, but somewhat none the less.  The persistent hets and the
fact the sweeping carrier is far more well propagated than audio impressed
on the carrier, leads me back to my original opinion of the Wobbler being
an artifact of a fluctuating carrier as the most likely explanation.

I admit I'm swayed by having listened to many more, much less spectacular
Wobblers, which fit more easily into that explanation.  Hearing only an
Xtreme Wobbler tends to be misleading, I think.

I'm typing this as I'm thinking it through, so it may be a jumble, for that
I apologize.  If it makes any sense to anyone, I'd loved to hear your take.

Curt
-------
W. Curt Deegan
Boca Raton, (southeast) FL