Re: [IRCA] Wobbler in NE Oregon (again)

> Bob,
>
> When you say that the Wobbler fades, how do you mean that.  It
normally
> varies in intensity as a matter of its nature, coming and going as
well as
> the amplitude of the fluctuations varies.  This behavior is unrelated
> the strength of the broadcast signal.
>

> Tonight, especially since you mentioned this, I've been listening in
> various modes trying to detect fading of the Wobbler.  The broadcast
signal
> does fade some, but I've not been able to detect any fading in the
Wobbler,
> as I understand your meaning.  When it's there it's there, even though
the
> fluctuations may be slight and causing only a low rumble.  I may be
too
> close to detect an overall fade in the Wobbler.
>
> But I may be misunderstanding your point entirely.  I'll keep
listening
> with this notion in mind.
>
> Curt

> >Is anyone who is able to hear the signal i.e. 1100 RCH able
> >to get a better correlation between program fade behavior and
> >wobbler fade behavior?
> >
> >- Bob  Tampa          sent 2136 et

Curt, the wobbler appeared to vary in intensity at a rate (1 or 2
cycles/
minute, roughly) that appears consistent with the fade rate of a regular
broadcast signal. I would, in fact, expect the wobbler RF signal
to fade in and out in a manner similar (but not time-coincident) to
the fading of the broadcast signal, and this model assumes that
the wobbler is being transmitted from a site at or near that of the
associated broadcast station.

However I have to admit that listening, in a moving truck, to a Delco
car radio is not an optimum listening environment and that for one
thing, if the wobbler's level, as transmitted, varies, it is probably
not
very easy to tell that effect apart from the effect that ionospheric
fading would also create at the receiver.

In other words, the apparent change in level of the received wobbler
signal, which changes at a slow analog rate, (and not rapidly switched
off and on, although that effect appears as well, I think) could be
caused either by a transmitted level variation, or by an ionospheric
variation, and I am not well enough equipped to make that
differentiation.

That's the long answer, the short answer is "I don't know"

But if the wobbler does not fade in the same type of pattern that
RCH 1100 fades, can it be guessed that they are not linked, except
from their both being on the same frequency (and thus, _appear_
to be linked, as heard at the receiver site.

I have been attributing the variation in apparent level of the
wobbler, at least partly, to fading. This may well be an
incorrect assumption. The nature of the signal makes it
hard to understand what is going on here, as I said, 4 grafs ago.

- Bob                     2254 est