Re: [IRCA] [NRC-AM] The "mystery" of 1710khz

At 12:02 PM 1/19/2006 -0700, Patrick Griffith, N0NNK / WPE9HVW wrote:
>Scott F. said: It's <1710 kHz> being used by a
>lot of TIS stations these days. No
>licensed full-power operation there.
>----------
>Scott I've never heard of a TIS on 1710 before. Can you elaborate? The
>FCC TIS information page says that the TIS band extends from 530 to 1700
>(see clip below). Searches of 1710 in the FCC databases turned up no
>licenses.

         Patrick Griffith and Bill Harms may be
able to elaborate further (perhaps changes of
which I'm not aware?), but ALL TIS/HARs operate
on a non-interference basis, to paraphrase.
Information is at 47CFR90.242 Sec.
90.242  Travelers' information stations and the
link (which I hope works) is
http://frwebgate.access.gpo.gov/cgi-bin/get-cfr.cgi?TITLE=47&PART=90&Section=242&TYPE=TEXT

To further elaborate from the above site,

>(3) Travelers Information Stations will be
>authorized on a secondary basis to stations
>authorized on a primary basis in the bands 510-1715 kHz.

         I've been actively involved with
DXing/understanding TIS/HAR stations going back
to the early/mid 70's, and while not an expert,
it's always nice to see the area discussed.

         As for a station on 1710 kHz, I call
upon our esteemed members in the Southern
California area (Tim Hall, for one) to help my
brain housing group: wasn't there a STA for a
TIS/HAR to move from 1700 to 1710 kHz due to
interference on 1700 kHz? As I recall, the
station moved to 1710 with a STA and shortly
thereafter, the FCC pulled the STA?

         Mike

Mike Hardester
Jacksonville, NC. (34.47 N ? 77.23 W +/- a couple of nanoseconds)
ICOM R-70 - 2 x 75 foot (23 meter) random wires
Orientation: E/W and N/S
Quantum Phaser and Patience