Re: [IRCA] Sync Detection Question

> I have noticed during my recent chase for
> Trans-Atlantic Mediumwave stations, that when I use
> the Synchronous Detector on my Drake R-8, instead of
> enhancing the intelligibility of the transmissions, it
> has the opposite effect.

I notice the exact same thing.

My initial theory is the ultra-low modulation
that these uber-powered stations use.

Sync detection goes a long way to reduce the
effects of fading and phase distortion.
They are not really designed with enhancing
overall audio quality although sometimes,
under certain conditions they reduce
total harmonic distortion.

Truth be told, if there is no fading
and no phase distortion, SYNC lock on
one of these stations is going to do
little in improving the overall experience.

Another example here on the West Coast
is Tahiti on 738khz. They run 10 or 15kw
into a good antenna system and often come
in giving KCBS San Francisco (740khz) a run
for their money.
Tahiti on 738khz runs their transmittters at
less than 50% modulation and the signal
is very steady. Sync detection does
very little to enhance the listening experience.

Colin Newell in Victoria B.C. Canada
Drake R8 - Wellbrook ALA100 - Passive loops