Re: [IRCA] WTOP change

Dear Bill,

I agree.  I live in the "hinderlands" of AM broadcasting as there are not many high-powered, full-service AM stations east of the Chesapeake.  We really don't even have much in the way of "informational" FM stations, except WSDL 90.7 FM in Ocean City that recently went over to NPR while its sister station WSCL 89.5 in Salisbury stayed Classical.  Our local AM stations are more news-talk and aren't more than 5 kw.  Our local WDOV-1410 in Dover (a Clear Channel outlet, of course) is completely useless for news, local or otherwise.  During a recent snow, I had to tune to Wilmington stations 30 miles away to see if my local schools were open or closed, as WDOV totally dropped the ball.  WDEL-1150 up in Wilmington is better (I used to work there so I have to say something nice about them hi!) but they only run news from 6-9 AM and from 6-7 PM.  Since Baltimore has no all-news station, it's either KYW or WTOP and since I'm a native Washingtonian, I gravitate toward WTOP.  I can barely pick up 103.5 PM here in Delaware but 1500 always put a good signal in here, day and night.  Granted, Delaware is not in WTOP's service area, but when a disaster hits the region, how will people east of the Chesapeake get their info?  As you said, the bean-counters seldom think about the listeners outside their region.

Reading a local radio blog out of DC, the observation was made that Bonneville seems to think AM radio is dead, so why not move the Golden Goose to FM and dump the Posties on AM?  If the 1500 outlet was 5 or 10 kw, I could see it.  But waste a 50 kw station on what amounts to a gamble, or a programming experiment?  I don't see the logic in that.  They could have put the Washington Post programming on 107.1 instead and kept all news on 1500 (along with the Nationals and Redskins as there is a lot of talk as to where their broadcasts will end up) and that would have made more sense.

John Cereghin
Smyrna DE

Bill Harms <wharms@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
John:

I think that you are putting your finger on something that a lot of
people are failing to recognize and that is the service provided by
stations outside of their so-called primary service area. It used to
be a big deal in the past for certain stations to establish an
audience at night beyond their local coverage area. I have to wonder
why station owners are ignoring it now. If they really don't want to
serve people outside of their local coverage area why bother with
high power and with directional antenna systems? In the case of WTOP
wouldn't a simple ND 10 kw day and suffice? That would eliminate
interference to stations like WFIF and allow them to operate at night
too.

Bill Harms