[IRCA] Saturday Oct 27 West Coast Trans-Pacifics - The night that drove old DXers down... Part Two

This morning will likely go down as one of the more lively mornings... in
maybe many seasons - I have seen mornings with stronger signals... but less
complexity and choice within the strata of the channel - as in single
channel dominance with little fighting going on and no tag team wrestling
style listening.

This mornings spectrum profile was one of a continuous surge of signals -
unrelenting from the moment the radio went on and then turned off an hour
or so later. I listened from 1250 up and until 1400 hours -- and the band
was open and delivering for another 2 hours. After weeks of early rising,
looking at radio dials, an hour or so of soldering circuit boards in my
spare time every day... solder smoke, reading etc - and I was exhausted.
Still am. Need several days off.

As I mentioned in the part-one report, the spectrum was cooking low to
upper mid band - much above 1206 Khz was largely anemic, with higher noise
levels, less signal etc. Here we go.

981 - CHINA - CNR1 Various/Many - Oct 27 1311 - Here's the thing: I look
down the maw of 980 khz Vancouver - arguably one of the most powerful
signals my system encounters. If I null Vancouver, I can null most anything
that is arriving from the same angle. That said, I was very close to audio
this AM - on peaks you could hear the modulation on 981 impinging on 980...
It was a serious growl - just not enough to definitively lock onto the
intelligence. (Newell, Victoria B.C.)

1017 - KOREA - MBC Andong - Oct 27 1312 - Korean talking on a couple of
passes - at very good levels - as in mornings previous - No sign of any
Japanese this AM. (Newell, Victoria B.C.)

1026 - CHINA - RGD various - OCT 27 1312 - Chinese talk by OM and several
passes - no evidence of anything else co-channel - (Newell, Victoria B.C.)

1035 - CHINA - CNR1 various - OCT 27 1313 - YL Chinese non-stop talk - fair
in co-channel slop - (Newell, Victoria B.C.)

1044 - CHINA - Jiangsu - CRI  - OCT 27  1314 - BIG Signal with Japanese YL
talking -- reliable at a couple of passes - note the absence of any
leaderboard members on 1053 -- other a collection of solid carriers.
(Newell, Victoria B.C.)

1098 - CHINA CNRx/RGD - OCT 27 1315 - Solid 100% copy of Chinese speaking
OM - a myriad of possibilities for actual location - (Newell, Victoria
B.C.)

1107 - KOREA - Pohang - HLAV - MBC - Oct 27 - 1316 - Assuming the lone
Korean speaker here - at good levels - (Newell, Victoria B.C.)

1116 - CHINA - CNR5 - Taiwan Service - Oct 27 - 1317 - assuming the loudest
of 3-4 stations and more Cantonese sounding (I'm slowly learning Mandarin
to keep my brain from congealing... ) Really good on peaks - (Newell,
Victoria B.C.)

1134 - CHINA - CNR (T) various - Oct 27 -1318  snips and quips of standard
Chinese through Vancouver slop -  (Newell, Victoria B.C.)

1143 - CHINA/TAIWAN  RGD+BEL3 Fisheries - Oct 27 1318 - fascinating
slow-jam between the more upbeat sounding Taiwanese service versus the
Chang-a-lang opera station over/under - there was a time I would be amazed
to get audio from BEL3 -- now its audible morning after morning. (Newell,
Victoria B.C.)

1170 - KOREA HLSR(T)  KBS - One People - Oct 27 1319 - Lively
smooth-romantic Korea ballads - with Chinese sounding announcer well
beneath the domestic - (Newell, Victoria B.C.)

1206 -  CHINA - RGD Yanbian (T) - Oct 27 1320 - Korean talking YL - on
numerous passes - was the beginning of the DMZ for worse listening
conditions as I tuned upward. That may have changed as I bailed at 1415
UTC... (Newell, Victoria B.C.)

1251 - CHINA RGD-Various Oct 27 1321 - Strident Chinese OM - a very solid
signal on numerous passes easily pushing 1250 out of the way - (Newell,
Victoria B.C.)

1269 - UNID - suspect CHINA-CRI - Oct 27 - 1322 - a perfect example of
"Hey, hang around here - this is a great signal..." with loud pops pushing
1270 merrily out of the way. I didn't hang out. (Newell, Victoria B.C.)

1278 - CHINA - RGD-various  Oct 27 - 1322 - Strident Chinese YL yelling
about something - not handling the 1280 domestic interference as well.
(Newell, Victoria B.C.)

1287 - JAPAN - JOHR - Hokkaido 50KW -  Oct 27 1323 - Laid back Japanese
pops - with OM DJ - one of the most reliable upper-band Japanese indie
stations. (Newell, Victoria B.C.)

1323 - CHINA - CRI - Heilongjiang - 200KW - Oct 27 - 1325 various - Russian
service at crazy levels at times // 963 khz - one of the few upper band
that escaped this mornings upper band malaise. (Newell, Victoria B.C.)

On the upper band, 1566 Korea and 1575 Thailand made it to stupid-hot
levels at times - but I have seen better. Snippets of audio on the likes of
1503, 1557 and 1593 but not log-worthy.

*Receivers - Drake R8 X 2 |   Welbrook FLG-100 X 2   | West Flag and North
Flag  | Self-MFR VACTROL variable remote termination controllers*
* Self-MFR Misek-Lankford-Ratzlaff PHASERS*

*Location - Victoria B.C. Canada |  Local team includes Nick Hall-Patch,
Dr. Walter Salmaniw, Brian Chapel, and Mike Cherry.*

--
Colin Newell - Editor and creator *of *Coffeecrew.com
<http://www.Coffeecrew.com> and DXer.ca <http://www.DXer.ca> -