Re: [IRCA] A new list...

On Friday 25 November 2005 12:34, Scott Fybush wrote:
> ...is probably the last thing we all need right now. But there seems to
> be a sense that the existing DX lists aren't really the right place to
> be having some of the discussions that are going on there. Lynn has made
> it clear that the IRCA list is meant to be, as the name clearly states,
> "hard core DX." The same is generally true, if I'm not mistaken, for
> ABDX and the NRC AM list.

Call me a skeptic, but I agree that it's the last thing we all need right
now.

I've had access to the Internet for about 20 years, and I've been on
numerous mailing lists in that time.  I've seen this process repeated many
times, usually with the same result.  A controversial topic breaks out,
traffic on the list spikes, the discussion gets a little heated, and some
of the list regulars start complaining and threatening to leave.  Then
someone proposes a solution: create a new list where folks can have at it
on said controversial topic, and leave the original list in peace.
Trouble is, the new list doesn't get off the ground.  For a variety of
reasons, it never achieves critical mass - people don't get around to
subscribing, or they don't post there because they figure there isn't
enough audience for their pearls of wisdom, etc., etc.  Or even worse,
they can't figure out which of the many available lists is most
appropriate for a given topic, so they end up cross-posting to a bunch of
them.  Then those who have tried to keep up with the fragmentation by
subscribing to multiple lists end up getting tons of duplicate postings.

I'd rather see fewer lists rather than more - ideally, just two that focus
on AM DX: one for tips, and one for discussions of anything that is
relevant to AM DXing.  We do have the DXTIP list, which works quite
nicely, but unfortunately, many AM DXers don't use it.  You would think
that we could all agree on one list purely for tips, but the participation
rate doesn't seem to be what it could be.  The NRC AM list has been the
closest thing to a general list for discussions of all things relevant to
AM DX, but it is now a lame duck and will be going away.  The IRCA list
seemed to be the logical successor, but it seems that the club doesn't
want it to take on that role.

To avoid discussion of IBOC on an AM DX list is, frankly, bizarre.  Whether
you are an active DXer or just a casual listener, IBOC should be of the
utmost concern to you.  It represents a sea change in radio broadcasting,
and you need to keep informed about it.  Moreover, AM IBOC in particular
is on the bubble right now.  There is an increasing realization on the
part of broadcasters, not to mention the FCC, that the interference
problems, and their impact on analog AM operations, may be much more than
they bargained for.  There are rumblings in the industry that maybe it's
time to take a step back and look at other alternatives.  Listeners can
and should be a part of this process, by letting stations being interfered
with know how their service is being impacted.  Most listeners won't have
much clue as to what is going on, but DXers are more technically
knowledgeable, and they are networked - that's where the mailing lists
come in.

If IBOC discussions are shunted off to a special list, then I suspect that
most DXers won't go there, and they will remain ignorant about what's
going on.  As radio enthusiasts, they should have a say in the future of
the band, but they can't do that unless they stay informed about IBOC
happenings.

Since I don't expect either club will change its stance, I guess we have
little choice but to give the new list a chance, and see what happens.

Barry

ps: sorry about the cross-posting, but it comes with the territory...

--
Barry McLarnon VE3JF  Ottawa, ON