Re: [IRCA] RFI on the BCB

Colin, Nick et al,

I avoided taking the openers apart until I was done dealing with Chamberlain so they could not blame any problems on me.

I used the Mixture 31 toroids because I already had them. I'm very willing to order some Mixture 75s.

I ran into another ham on the Flexradio community website who had the same problem with Chamberlain garage door openers. He tells me that with the bypass caps and some extra wire wound through a mixture 31 toroid his problem was fixed. He wound through his snap on toroid with all the turns overlapping. I spaced mine evenly around it. His was just a red and black pair, might have been from a power cord. Since I needed 4 wires I stripped 9 feet of cat 5 apart and took two of the 4 twisted pairs. I put one end of both of them in a vice and the other end in my cordless drill and made a twisted pair of two twisted pairs, then wound that through the toroid.

I then rewired all connections from both openers with cat 5 just using single pairs from the cat5 as I needed them, without removing the other 3 twisted pairs. I used the cat 5 in the hope that I would get some attention from the twisted pairs in it, and I had lots of it.

All this work did help but not near enough.

I do not know what frequency he was having a problem with. It may not have been BCB and 160m.  I will email you each photos of the spectrum display on my Flex I took with the openers powered off, then a before and after pic of the of the same display. If you look me up on www.QRZ.com you can see how close my 160m Inverted L is to the garage with the openers.

For now I am getting along by walking out to the garage and tripping the breaker that feeds the openers.

The noise is so bad that I have a hard time believing Chamberlain when they say they are within the RFI limits imposed by the FCC.

I've got out of town guests coming tomorrow for a few days. After that I will see how difficult it will be to open up one of the openers and see how hard it would be to disconnect their piece of junk PS and hook up my own.

Steve NG0G