[IRCA] 558-6WA at Rockwork

     Prior to this year the Western Australian ABC station 558-6WA in Wagin had been heard for three years in a row at the Rockwork 4 cliff in August, making the 9, 126 mile station seem like somewhat of a regular visitor. Last year it was joined by 531-6DL, a 10 kW station in Dalwallinu, which Tom and I received on August 4th.

     This year's DXpedition had featured great reception from Fiji, Tonga and New Zealand, although it seemed like Western Australia would be silent. After 8 days of a 9 day DXpedition it still hadn't shown up, and yesterday morning was my last day at the Cliff. After dodging the squatters to set up at Rockwork 6 I had a single 15" FSL antenna tuned only to 558 kHz for the duration, as well as one tuned only to 531 kHz. It seemed bleak until around 1256, when something came out of the noise on 558, just before being swallowed up by Radio Fiji One  https://dreamcrafts.box.com/s/pl2kecw36jus1pfh1e8g6r3rx88p9gud

     The ABC website lists the program as "Nightlife" for this time slot in Western Australia, with a story concerning tracking down the history of one's ancient ancestors. The ABC podcast contains the voices of several female speakers and more research will be done, but at least in consideration of the program format and the DU English spoken, there doesn't seem to be much doubt about the identity of the station.

73, Gary DeBock (in Puyallup, WA, USA)