Re: [IRCA] 1000-Radio Record (Sao Paulo, Brazil) Received in the Cook Islands

Dang! I can make that out as Portuguese in a heart-beat!

Nice catch!

One of my first East Coast DX catches on my first expedition to Halifax,
Nova Scotia was Brazil on 1100 khz (I think...) It too was about 200 kw
and one of the easiest Brazilians that is heard in North America.

*I kid you not:* I arrived in Halifax in the middle of "Busker Fest" (which
to you older dudes, is a festival of street performers; singers, jugglers,
magicians, mimes, etc.

I set up my 3 X 3' loop (holding onto my Sony 7600G with one hand and
steering the loop with the other...) on the waterfront boulevard in the
middle of a steady stream of passers by - who would stop... pause... and
look at me curiously...
and then the occasional person would ask... "Uhm. What is your 'thing'?"
meaning - What is your act or your program that you are performing?

I would take my headphones off and explain that I was a ham radio operator
listening for signals from South America...
... they would look even more confused and then move on.

I did this for around an hour and then found a quiet park away from the
waterfront!

--
Colin Newell - Editor and creator *of *Coffeecrew.com
<http://www.Coffeecrew.com> and DXer.ca <http://www.DXer.ca> -