[IRCA] Mostly Mexican MW DX to Enid OK, March 17-23, 2018

--- Begin Message ---
These logs are excerpts from my daily all-band reports, mainly SWBC, also VHF/UHF, sometimesÂutility, ham, which may be found in several archives without much delay, such as

All my MW DX reports starting August 2011 are archived in this forum with open access:
http://forums.wtfda.org/showthread.php?6543-MW-DX-from-Enid-OK-by-Glenn-Hauser/page68
[over 289,000 views! as of March 23, 2018]

All times and dates strictly UT. Rx: mostly DX-398 with internal antenna only or PL-880; NRD-545 with ALA-330S inside E-W or inside randomwire N-S; Nissan stock caradio as specified; ICR-75Â E-W longwire.

UNIDENTIFIED. 2070, March 17 at 0556 UT, JBA carrier barely above noise level. Seems to be real as still there with preamps off. Could be 3 x something from 690. But off at 0557 UT. Could it be a station signing off around local midnight in the MDT zone? As with most frequencies, NRC AM Log shows everything on 690 either 24 hours or daytimer.

Mexicans are a different story. IRCA Log showed one match, XERG in Monterrey NL on a 1200-0600 UT schedule (and Mont`y is still on CST of UT-6 according to timeanddate.com, unlike ``northern NL`` --- but what does that mean? NL has only a few miles of border with USA/TX, unlike Tamaulipas and Coahuila whose border towns go along with USA DST calendar; NL includes a spur highway, just upriver from Nuevo Laredo).

IRCA Log is now at least 3 years old; we keep hoping for a new edition, but apparently delayed by trying to keep up with all the XEs which have closed down their MW. It had 8 XEs on 690, as did the final Cantà as of Feb 2015. Now, the WRTH 2018 lists *only 2*, XEN and XERG, but no attempt at schedule info in the by-frequency list; however, the NL04 station linked shows 12-07 UT (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST) Reply: see MEXICO

** MEXICO. For what it's worth, I'm pretty confident that there are exactly 4 Mexican stations left on 690: XEWW, XEN, XERG and XEMA.

XECS, XEXL, XEST and XEAFA have all confirmed to me via Facebook message in Sept-Oct 2017 that they have turned off their AMs. XETRN appears to have left AM before the nationwide FM migration started.

Of the stations that remain, XEWW is my local 77/50 kW 24-hour pest here in San Diego, and I've got IDs from XEN and XEMA in my recordings from the last Border Inn DXpedition (Sept/Oct 2017). XERG has no FM to the best of my knowledge (there generally aren't enough FM slots available in the largest cities) so I am confident they remain on AM as well. XEMA was included on a list of stations the IFT ordered to stay active on AM since the FM would not cover one or more municipalities that the AM has been serving.

Good luck with the identification of the likely harmonic on 2070. For what it's worth, XEN tends to run the anthem slightly before local midnight, and XEMA slightly after midnight. XEMA runs the full version (4 minutes 40 seconds). If I recall correctly the anthem on XEN is shorter. I'm not sure whether either of these two actually sign off after playing the anthem at Midnight (it's hard to tell because they are well under the other stations I was hearing on the channel). Hope this helps. 73 (Tim Hall, CA, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

Tim, Tnx for all the info, certainly helps. The WRTH 2018 Mexico page only lists two, but the frequency list in the back has 7 XEs on 690 including XEWW. â (Glenn Hauser, ABDX yg via DXLD)

** KIRITIMATI. 846, March 21 at 0624, JBA carrier from presumed R. Kiribati. I then undertake a TA JBA MW carrier search and find a few others, but 846 is *not* a significant European frequency; per WRTH, in fact nothing more than 1 kW in Ireland, Italy (tho there are medium-powers in South Africa, Saudi Arabia, UAE, Iran)(Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** KIRITIMATI. 846, March 23 at 0555, JBA carrier from presumed R. Kiribati, not Europe. See also UNIDENTIFIEDs for TA carrier search which ensued and later, TP (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

UNIDENTIFIED. Trans-Atlantic JBA MW carrier search. March 17 from 0600, I first notice hets/carriers on 621, 711, 774, encouraging me to scan the whole band at 9-kHz offset intervals, starting at 0608:
549, 558, 567, 585, 603, 621, 639, 657, 666, 684 vs WSCR IBOC, 711,  747, 774* stronger, 783, 801, 855, 873, 882, 936(2), 1017, 1098, 1116, 1125, 1152 --- and I fall asleep, as later discovered (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

UNIDENTIFIED. Trans-Atlantic JBA MW carrier search, March 21 at 0625: 549, 774, 783, 855, 936, 1044. See also KIRITIMATI (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

UNIDENTIFIED. Trans-Atlantic JBA MW carrier search, March 23 at 0556+: 531(2), 549, 567, 612, 693(2), 1044, 1125, 1314, 1512, 1539, 1575. Just after had 846 from Kiritimati, q.v. (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

UNIDENTIFIED. Trans-Pacific JBA MW carrier search, March 23 at 1159: started as usual on 774, to find it on the DX-398 from WSW, probably 3LO Melbourne rather than NW, NHK Japan.

Then switch to R75 with E-W longwire, March 23 from 1202: 594, 612, 774, 828, 846*, 882, 1035, 1116, 1503.

*846 was stronger, so back to DX-398 to try to DF it: seems WSW rather than W, and Kiritimati supposedly goes off around 1000. But the only DUs are three eastern Aussies at 2.5/5/10 kW, and an NZer at 2 kW; fluke? 846 soon fades down. At 1213, 1098 from west, i.e. Marshalls. Enid sunrise today: 1231 UT (Glenn Hauser, oK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

--- End Message ---