Re: [IRCA] Question about Skywave SSB

Hi Richard,

<<< I have a question regarding the SSB feature on the newly introduced Skywave SSB receiver. Have you used it for transoceanic DX-ing? Was it useful in reducing domestic QRM? If so, what is the most practical setting? >>>

I took a Skywave SSB model to Hawaii last month and did a lot of transoceanic DXing with it, but all the DXing was done in the standard (AM) reception mode. The reason for this was because a quick check of DX audio recording quality in the 1 kHz DSP filter setting revealed that the new SSB model had significantly superior audio quality compared to the previous Skywave model in the 1 kHz DSP setting. As for whether the new model's splatter rejection was compromised because of this improved audio fidelity, there really wasn't time to check this in the wild Hawaii DXing environment.

I know that local buddy Guy Atkins has done some daytime DXing with the new Skywave SSB model using the SSB mode, and has reported some significant success with it. I also plan to run some similar tests once all the loose ends from the Hawaii DXpedition are wrapped up.

Gary DeBock (in Puyallup, WA, USA)