Re: [IRCA] YAHOOOOOO…NEW STATE # 48 on AM-BCB This morning!!

My shack here for the first 20 years was 2 HQ 150's and tuned loops also in the basement. I determined that as long as I wasn't going past about 1400 miles, the arrival angle was workable.

At 1565 miles, I couldn't get a peep from KOA-850 down there, even when it was fully readable on the car radio in the garage at grade level !

>From NJ, I also was able to take 1580 to CA twice in the early 1970's - KDAY in 1973 and KWIP in 1976. Those were the days !

Russ Edmunds

WB2BJH

Blue Bell, PA

Grid FN20id

________________________________
From: IRCA <irca-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> on behalf of Bill Whitacre <bw@xxxxxxx>
Sent: Thursday, January 18, 2018 4:20:22 PM
To: Mailing list for the International Radio Club of America
Subject: Re: [IRCA] YAHOOOOOO…NEW STATE # 48 on AM-BCB This morning!!

I did MMs and the ‘CPC trail’ for a few years back in the early/mid-70’s from Lansing, MI with a Worcester loop in the BASEMENT on a Hallicrafters SX-96 with a digital frequency display I made.

Man, that was fun!  I had no idea until I came back to the hobby in 2009 how much ‘fun’ it was!

Oh and sunset was a riot!  I used to sit on 1580 after our ‘local’ WRBJ in St. Johns, MI signed off and get a new station every 15 minutes many nights!  One night I got all the way to Ceres, CA!

Enough time travel.  Back to figuring out when I can retire!  ;-)

Yay for ‘old guys’ and ‘old days!'

—