Re: [IRCA] First Thoughts on the Skywave SSB Portable

Hi Guy,

Thanks for posting your initial impressions on the CC Skywave SSB model, and I'm happy that the new radio is meeting your expectations.

<<< On weak daytime signals its almost as good as the 909X and Satellit Exec
but falls behind on the weakest of the MW signals... that's expected due to
the bigger ferrite in the bigger radios. >>>

Yes, this is the primary reason why I'm about to violate C.Crane's warranty by transplanting 7.5" loopsticks into a couple of these Skywave SSB models (I wonder how many DXers would be eager to do this on a $169.99 radio?).

<<<
However the SSB modes in the new Skywave are a really good addition for
tight signal situations! For instance, there's a fairly low power (4.5 kw)
Milwaukie, Oregon station just 10 kHz up from powerhouse KOMO 1000, and the
Skywave can hear it when using USB...indoors and in the daytime. Not only
that, using LSB I can easily hear a 5 kw Dalles, Oregon outlet on 1440,
just 10 kHz away from my strongest local KSUH 1450 (1 Kw omni-directional,
Korean lang., 1.4 miles away). I'm *very* impressed with what this little
handful has accomplished in the short time I've had the radio. >>>

Thanks for your detailed daytime DXing observations. Once there is adequate time here I also plan to investigate all of the new SSB Skywave capabilities, using the basic CC Skywave review (in the 2015 Ultralight Radio Shootout) as a benchmark.

As you may recall, though, our mutual good friend John Bryant was pretty insistent that SSB capability should be a disqualifying factor for "official" Ultralight radio classification-- a guideline that has been in place for over 9 years now. As such, my own personal interest in this model is in using it as a possible replacement for the ICF-2010 SSB "spotting receivers" that are used to track TP and DU-DX carrier strength during ocean cliff DXpeditions. Keeping track of transoceanic DX carrier strength gives you a very accurate, timely impression of propagation changes from minute to minute. For a live DXer hoping to maximize the limited, intense propagation openings around sunrise, this information is critical.

Unfortunately, the hot-rodded ICF-2010 models are a little too big and bulky to take along on the "Frequent Flyer" DXpeditions to places like Kona, Hawaii (next week) or the Cook Islands (in April). If the compact new Skywave SSB models can perform this transoceanic carrier "tracking" function, though, they would dramatically boost the overall effectiveness of the "Frequent Flyer" DXpeditions. With a follow-up trip to Kona planned for next week, this aspect of the new Skywave SSB model should be fully investigated. Knowing which DU carriers are performing well at any given moment makes it much easier to choose MP3 recording targets!

73, Gary (in the Mount Rainier Lahar Valley)

I received my *Skywave SSB* yesterday... it's a nice unit! The packaging
and accessories make a good impression too. I like it better than the
original Skywave for sure.

On weak daytime signals its almost as good as the 909X and Satellit Exec
but falls behind on the weakest of the MW signals... that's expected due to
the bigger ferrite in the bigger radios.

However the SSB modes in the new Skywave are a really good addition for
tight signal situations! For instance, there's a fairly low power (4.5 kw)
Milwaukie, Oregon station just 10 kHz up from powerhouse KOMO 1000, and the
Skywave can hear it when using USB...indoors and in the daytime. Not only
that, using LSB I can easily hear a 5 kw Dalles, Oregon outlet on 1440,
just 10 kHz away from my strongest local KSUH 1450 (1 Kw omni-directional,
Korean lang., 1.4 miles away). I'm *very* impressed with what this little
handful has accomplished in the short time I've had the radio.

This radio should do well at the coast with receiving some TPs and DUs when
using LSB/USB, especially with a coupled loop.

FM is of course superb on the Skywave SSB, just like on similar
SiLabs-chipped receivers. The weather channels are good to have too, and I
read in the manual that the radio can even be set to receive weather ALERT
broadcasts such as when severe thunderstorms or tornadoes are approaching.

The radio's build quality is just fine for the price. I like the new gray
color, and I don't mind the "Speak & Spell" toy speaker shape once I saw
the radio in person (I admit it--I'm a designer and the looks of a radio
are more important to me than to many DXers). The Skywave SSB's build
quality is pretty good too.

The radio seems sensitive enough (MW & HF) and I haven't noticed any
abnormal amount of digital noises. Like many radio hobbyists, my own home
has enough buzzes and hash to cover up any weaker circuit oddities.

Speaking of oddies, I've never encountered a radio that ramps up in volume
over 1-2 seconds when you turn it on... has anyone else?

I'll be interested in my cross-town pal Gary DeBock's opinion of the the
Skywave SSB after he's taken his for a test drive.

Guy Atkins
Puyallup, WA