Re: [IRCA] IBOC/analog reception comparisons.

Re: [IRCA] IBOC/analog reception comparisons.

David Gleason writes,

> My AM and FM experience with IBOC / HD covers multiple markets,
including
> stationary and mobil reception of our own stations in boht bands. In
all
> cases we find the AM HD signal is clear and interference free beyond
the
> reliable analog range (due to noise levels consuming the AM even
within the
> 10 mv/m countour in big cities) and the FM has no trouble within the
60 dbu
> contour... well beyound where most listening takes place, in fact.

I'm not trying to be argumentative here, but I see that Craig Healy
is reporting results on AM with his HD receiver that imply somewhat
less reception range. I don't think that operator skill is able to have
any effect, positive or negative, so it seems likely that there is
either a difference in the ability of different receivers to decode the
AM HD signal, or there is some other environmental factor involved,
and this in theory could relate to noise, interference from other
signals, differences in receiver design/revision levels of the codec,
what else could be a factor? Are these stations transmitting a
different HD signal? What would happen if these reeivers were
reversed geographically? What kind of comparison can be done
in any market to try and run down these differences? Would David's
receiver decode WOR in Providence during the LSS/1800 window?

Right now the sample range for either receivers or stations is too
small to be very useful.

- Bob                1326 est