[IRCA] S. AZ TP/DU, Oct 4

Lots of hets over low/mid band today; 1566 HLAZ again with a number of good-level fadeups. I've discovered that the Japan NHK network stations play 3 pips and a longer chime at top of hour. The pips are a lower pitched "A" note with the chime the same A note played an octave above (the chime is the A above middle C on a piano). The chime fades away in several seconds. Since I don't receive TPs very well here, I amuse myself looking for the TOH chime in my recording--often the chime is heard with nothing else. And the chime is often heard with nothing from the lower-pitched pips. (South Korea also plays the same pips and chime, even the same pitch--you'd think maybe they'd use a different pitch!), but the chime is cut off and doesn't fade away, and a short orchestra jingle follows the chime--so with careful listening South Korea can be told from Japan just from the chime.) Today I heard a station on 558 with 1300 TOH chime, except the chime wasn't at the A note but at the C note (above middle C on the piano). So I wonder which station this might be.

558 unknown, 1257 very poor talk;Â TOH (1300 utc) chime at "C" note, not usual "A" note for JJ stations, very poor

567 Japan 1300 pips and chime then talk

594 Japan very poor talk 1240

666 Japan very poor/poor talk 1317

729 Japan 1300 chime

774 Japan 1300 pips and chime then talk very poor; 1319 very poor/poor talk

828 Japan 1300 chime

846 Japan 1300 chime faint

873 Japan 1300 pips and chime; 1320 very poor/poor talk

891 Japan 1241 very poor/ poor talk; 1300 pips and chime; 1331 talk

972 S Korea 1300 chime faint

1143 Japan 1302 very poor talk

1197 Japan 1300 chime (not a network station)

1314 Japan 1248 very poor talk; 1257 talk very poor; 1300 chime then talk. (Not a network station)

1566 S Korea HLAZ, a number of good fadeups for sync detector lock--1232, 1240, 1242, 1307, 1313, 1319, 1323, 1327, fading out after 1344

1611 Australia brief fadeup with man talking and music very poor 1306-1309 utc, very poor. The DKAZ is much superior to the 900' E/W longwire for this--nothing at all on the longwire.

Steve AA7U

near Sahuarita, AZ

R75; FDM S2 recording (SDR Console v3); west DKAZ + FLG100 preamp