Re: [IRCA] philosophy of logging a new one

Other than in my own mind, I do not put âheardsâ or âthink-I-heardsâ in my log. For instance, I know I had Norway on 1314 a couple of years ago. My wife is of Norwegian extraction. There wasn't enough audio for her to opine so I sent it to the parents of one of our Rotary exchange students in Norway. She was an NRK field reporter but couldnât confirm what it was. If she had been a DXer with a trained ear, Iâm sure she could have identified it. However, I donât count it and thatâs the way it goes. While at Duke eons ago, I know I heard audio from 2WL-1430 in Wollongong. I taped it and sent it to the station and never heard back. I didnât have dubbing capability so what I sent was the only copy. I had the same thing happen when I lived in San Francisco when I heard Dakar on (then) 764. On the other hand, when I heard Spanish on 1620 a few years back before the X-band got loaded, I didnât have a clue so sent a copy to a Mexican DXer who identified it as Buenos Aires and pointed out an identification phrase. I count that one. I live in a hotbed of avid TP DXers who with their superior equipment and trained ears regularly hear everything I might at best even get a squeak out of so when I hear a het, sure, Iâm confident I know what it is but donât count it unless I get some sort of a ID. However, I think it is helpful when a DXer reports âhets on 594 765 828 1566â because that reflects reception conditions. From there, itâs up to us to dig in and identify what they are.

Pete Taylor
Tacoma, WA
12225w 4719n
HQ180 & ICF2010