Re: [IRCA] CHAT 1270

On 16-Nov-05, at 11:54 AM, Patrick Martin wrote:

> Nigel,
>
> CHAT has been common here about any night. I am glad I got them QSL'd
> years ago. Plus the CE also QSL'd the old CBC repeater for me too.
> That
> has been gone for years. I have a lot of collector item QSLs from
> Canadians with so many that have been gone from AM for sometime. But
> like you, I must admit, moving to FM has helped my DX too, especially
> 1570 & 1220. With CKDA first moving to 1200, then finally CHEC, opened
> up 1220. Then over on 1570 to CHUB and then CKTA going to FM, again
> opened up 1570. I just wish XERF would have stayed on 18 KW. I
> wonder if
> any of the main powerhouses I get like Vancouver/Calgary/Edmonton will
> ever move to FM? It seems the smaller markets make the move, but the
> biggies in the cities stay on AM. Wouldn't it be nice to see 1060,
> 1010,
> 1130, etc move to FM? I doubt the powerhouse CBCs will as they cover
> such a large area. But it is fun to dream. hi.

As of a few years ago, there were, excluding the low power CBC relays,
a total of 20 AM stations in Southern Alberta (here defined to
include Red Deer and everything south). This included:

Red Deer 2 stations (700,1170)
Banff (1340)
Canmore (1450)
Calgary 6 stations (660, 770, 960, 1010, 1060, 1140)
Drumheller (910)
High River (1280)
Brooks (1340)
Blairmore (1490)
Lethbridge 2 stations (1090, 1220)
Taber (1570)
Medicine Hat 3 stations (1270, 1390, 1460)

With the demise of CHAT as an AM station, there will be only
8 left - 5 in Calgary, CIBQ-1340 Brooks, CKDQ-910 Drumheller,
and CHRB, which took over the 1140 frequency and transmitter
site when CFXL-1140 moved to FM. The CHRB-1140 site is just
outside of Calgary, and CKDQ-910's site near Strathmore is closer to
Calgary
then Drumheller, and thus both really serve the Calgary market
with their 50 kW transmitters. Both stations, as well as
the 5 stations (also all 60 kW) licensed to Calgary can be
heard well here in Calgary even with a crystal set.

The three CBC AM stations (CBR-1010 as well as CHFA-680 and
CBX-740, both in Edmonton, have applied for moderate power
FM transmitters but in all cases the AM will be retained.
Calgary has only two unused FM frequencies left suitable for
a fairly hugh power station (92.9, 106.5) and I suspect
that both will be applied for in the near future.

73,

Deane McIntyre VE6BPO