Re: [IRCA] [NRC-AM] IBOC on late on 1190 obliterating WHAM

Re: [IRCA] [NRC-AM] IBOC on late on 1190 obliterating WHAM

There are two issues here.

First, the owners of most of the big, former 1-A, clear channels are the
biggest supporters of HD Radio. They have looked at where the revenue comes
from, and it does not come from skywave. It does not come from coverage of
areas outside the metro area the station is in. So they are, in effect,
saying, "we only care about metro groundwave coverage and HD is fine for
this."

Second, the HD sidebands may affect stations that are very tightly spaced,
or are "shoehorn" grants that have agreed to accept huge interference at
night in exchage for being able to operate.

In addition, remember that neither AM nor FM have anywhere near the
listening at night that they do in daytime. Night listening is less than a
third of the morning listening, and most is in the 7 to 9 PM frame. Stations
have a hard time selling night listening, no matter what kind of share they
have as advertisers do not generally specify nights in ad buys.