Re: [IRCA] IRCA Loop update

I am seeing where there are two different physical
aspects of this antenna, which is no big eureka-
type discovery, but I haven't seen it mentioned
in so many words. One is the length of the loop
section, which would be 40 feet for use of four
10-foot pipe sections. The other is the diameter
of the section, for which Craig is using
one inch dia. pipe.

The diminishing point of return, for making the loop
smaller, then has these two different parts, length
and cross-sectional area..

I am having a hard time believing that the miniscule
amount of current flow in the skin of the copper
pipe, due to received signals, is resistively affected
by reducing the diameter of the pipe. So, what would
be the effect of going to 1/2 inch dia pipe, then 1/4
inch dia pipe? You must reach a point where the
mechanical instability gets so great that the antenna
becomes physically unusable, but is the RF
performance still good enough at these diameters?

What would happen if the antenna was made from
semi-rigid copper strap mounted to an X-frame?
(besides probably costing more..) Or to a box frame
with X-shaped supports? Could the antenna be
made from 4 straight sections designed to be
attached at the corners, then made transportable
in some sort of oversized fishing-pole-type
carry bag? (That's probably over-kill, but an
interesting thought anyhow. You'd need a
really rigid corner attachment mechanism)

What about using a length of 1-5/8 inch heliax
arranged in a circle and using the corrugated shield
as the pickup? Too heavy? How would use of a circle
instead of a square affect the nulling ability?

- Bob                                                               sent
1126 est