[IRCA] September 11 2016 PART ONE (of 2 or 3) - West Coast TP's

Lacking the energy of yesterdays session, the opportunity to buckle down and
do a bit more in-depth channel by channel analysis presented itself.

My session started around the same time (12:20 UTC) - and after a quick scan
of the NHP fish-barrel radar system on one of my phones in the kitchen
and some pre-dawn ablutions, I dove into what would be a sedate but
productive turn at the radio dial.

Here are the by-frequency accounts of what I heard.

529 Alaska High-Level AERO forecasts boxing in the TIS jumble
on 530 while a series of semi-audibles took flight on 531. This is one, if
not the
only, frequency on the AM dial that has a standard channel boxed in one
both sides.

558 Khz Korea - more frequently towards LSR and often parallel sounding to
the usually louder 603 - on/about 1315. At times crystal clear with KK
romantic pop.

567 Khz JOIK NHK Japan - was the boss here the entire session. Likely one
of the top 5 this morning - never inaudible. And if this was a nod to Paul
in Galena, Alaska, this would be one of the most likely JJ stations you are
going to hear - a top tier performer

576 - 585 UNID From time to time burbles of intelligence but nothing that
stood out and nothing that got stronger as LSR approached

594 JOAK NHK - unfailing during entire session (Another top 5 most heard JJ
stations) occasionally with something else underneath it.

603 KBS Radio Happy FM S. Korea - now among the most heard S. Korean that
is not "super-powered" with yearning KK vocals and the occasionally chirpy
convo - here almost entire session

612 4QR Brisbane AUS - Rose to armchair heights from 1315 on through to
around 10 minutes pre-LSR (around 1340) with typical docu-commentary style
news. For hunters of their first Aussie, this could well be it.

621 DPRK Pyongyang - this brute located in the "somewhat unstable" nation
of North Korea is always hammering at 620 and occasionally reveals typical
Korean ranting in a style only heard within the confines of this basket
state. 1250 - 1310 UTC

639 Various - in an often unholy jumble of stations some CC occasionally
rises here -
but usually saves itself for sweeter times further into the season.

657 DPRK - At an alleged 1500KW (I imagine less than half of that...) this
2nd day in a row appearance with its stock-in-trade sabre rattling
harangues - occasionally 12:50 through 13:10

666 JOBK NHK Osaka - at times in Japanese talk between 1320 and 1325 when
some second tiers started appearing (this is not really one of those at
100kw) but if this one is coming in nicely, lesser powered ones may follow.

675 Hanoi, Vietnam - frequently between 12:50 and 13:10 at numerous passes
- often at good levels but suffering from lower than average modulation.
Likely the number one picture for those hunting for Vietnam.

702 Australia - 2BL Sydney - likely the stuffy sounding Aussie OM chatting
- getting knocked about by CBC 690. I often switch in the
Ratzlaff/Misek/Lankford Phaser and knock down 690 so I can catch Japan on
693 and affect better listening on 702 - but not this morning.

738 Taiwan/China - often at pretty good levels but getting showered with so
many sparks from 730 Vancouver to render this channel useless - again, a
PHASER null would open it up - but often nulling the Northerly pests also
nulls the DX.

This is 1/3 of my report - not wanting to risk  the 33K limit of this list
- going to cut off now -

Please enjoy this brief YouTube video from this morning -
https://youtu.be/ivE2z2KaSxc

--
Colin Newell - Editor and creator *of *Coffeecrew.com
<http://www.Coffeecrew.com> and DXer.ca <http://www.DXer.ca> -