Re: [IRCA] Nice Visit

Don,

A few years ago KHLO lost their old TX site Hawaiian Homeland dispute or
something like that. Chuck Boehnke told me the story. Anyway, they built
a new site and it does not get out nearly as well as the old site. I
remember just after KHLO changed to C&W in the early 90s, I sent a
cassette tape to Chuck in Keaau HI (15 miles from Hilo) and I recorded
KHLO for him. But I did not tell him. When he got the tape, he popped it
in his cassette deck and it started right from the beginning "It's Just
A Matter Of Time" by Randy Travis (The old Brook Benton song). Chuck
turned to Ginny his wife, and said "Why did Patrick send me a tape of
Country music?" Well, he listened to the end of the song and then loud
and local-like "KHLO Hilo, a Brewer Station". Chuck about fell out of
the chair. The next time I talked with him, he asked "Where did I record
KHLO from?" I told him right here. It was S9+40DB!!! I kid you not. I
could hear the transmitter hum. KHLO was a regular. They owned 850 at
night. In other words "What's a KOA?" Infact for years Hawaiians owned
many channels here before LSS in Hawaii, until well after LSR here.
Power did not seem to matter. When KMVI 550 was 1 KW, you could hear
them on a pocket transistor radio without any trouble at night.
Hawaiians just don't have the "punch" they used to. I have no idea why.
The DUs don't either. Conditions I guess.

73,

Patrick

Patrick Martin
Seaside  OR