[IRCA] IRCA Loop update

I built yet another copper tube loop tonight.  This one is only two feet on
a side and made of 1" heavy tube (Type M).  The pickup is a toroid salvaged
from a Harris transmitter with four turns of #16 wire.  This is soldered to
a SO-238 jack.  This loop is untuned.

Right now I am listening to a good signal from WWL-870.  The antenna is
connected directly to the R8B with no preamp, either internal or external.
About a 15' length of RG-58 coax is used.  WWL is running about S-6 on the
Drake.

The loop is sitting in a cardboard box leaning against the wall in the
second floor radio room.  I did try nulling some locals, and it nulls well.
It'll null better once I make a real mount.  That's tomorrow's project.

I have to tell you, I don't think I will ever make a wire loop again.  The
untuned copper loop works better than any tuned wire loop I've ever made or
used.  It's dead simple to make and simpler to use.  It also seems nearly
immune to hand capacitance.

One thing I did different is take the twisted pair output from the toroid
and wrap it through a ferrite core to make a balun.  It may make a little
difference.  Time will tell.  I'll take some photos once I make a el-az
mount.

I may make one half this size to see just how small I can go before it stops
working effectively.  There is remarkably little difference between this and
the original ten foot loop I built.

Craig Healy
Providence, RI