Re: [IRCA] WSCP-1070 on

> Hey Craig when I saw R9B listed as your receiver I immediately though
> Bingo! NEW CHRISTMAS PRESENT!, lol. Good thing I read your next post.
> Seriously though, I wish Drake WOULD come out with an R9 series.

These days I think we may have seen the last of the dedicated receivers.
Buying a ham rig just for the receiver section may become the norm.  I'm
sure Drake didn't drop the R8 series because it was selling too well.

> Question about your copper loop. I lost your web page with pictures etc on
> making the loop and I was wondering if you could re post the URL? Also,
> what composition ferrite core did you use?

http://www.chowdanet.com/irca_loop.gif is a shot of the first loop.  This is
3/4" copper tubing and ten feet on a side.  Later I cut it in half and made
two identical loops out of it.  Worked just about as well.  This weekend, if
time permits, I want to make one half again smaller from 1" copper.  These
are untuned loops and work from maybe 100kHz or lower to at least the 41m SW
band.  I made a tuned version out of 1" copper, and it was also very good.
The tuning gains a bit of signal, but overall it didn't make enough
difference to be worth the bother.

http://www.chowdanet.com/irca_feed.gif is a picture of the feed.  It is
nothing more than four turns of #16 wire soldered to a UHF coax jack.  The
composition of the core is unknown.  I bought it from a local store that was
clearing out old stock.  It's a J. W. Miller FT240-1 and I can't find
anything about it.  I also have a FT240-2 core which is outwardly identical.
And, subsequent loops were made with some cores salvaged from a burned out
Harris Gates 5 power amp module.  It really isn't critical, as long as the
formulation works at MW.

Right now I have one of the five foot untuned loops out in the back yard up
near the property line.  It's fed through a piece of RG-58 and another
length of RG-6.  Hardly optimal impedence matching.  It works fine right
into the R8B with no preamp needed.  When things are quiet enough on a
frequency, I use the built in Drake preamp and it's more than enough.

So far I'm very happy with this.  I want to find a quieter place in my yard
and make a better mount.  Then, take the second one and mount it as far away
as I can and phase the two.

Craig Healy
Providence, RI