Re: [IRCA] Wobbler on 740

Steve,

What you observe is one strangeness of the Wobbler.  Down here right next to them, the way they can match or overwhelm a near-local station isn't so surprising as it is to those who hear it from as far away as you.

The carrier powers involved are often 10-30kW, so the skywave affect can be far reaching.  I hear them day and night, and often the strongest nighttime Wobblers all but hop right over me and are reported well up the coast and inland.  I may hear them from the groundwave, but how strong they are may not be obvious until people begin reporting them from farther away.

The affect is much like the TAs and TPs that are reported from the heterodynes they produce.  The difference is the oscillations of the Wobbler make it even more apparent.

I have also compared it to the sweep tones that have been used in some DX tests, that can often be heard when nothing else is.  And in those tests the sweep tone signal doesn't have the added advantage of beating against a near-local carrier to enhance its presence.

Curt
W. Curt Deegan
Boca Raton, (Southeast) Florida
http://ScooterHound.com/WWWR/wobbler/