Re: [IRCA] IRCA Loop update 3

> *** A well-built broadband loop ( BBL ) usually also features low noise
> as well. Obviously if you have an antenna tuning control on your
> receiver, that can be used but probably to little effect.

I did try a tuner with a couple of different configurations.  It made no
gain in signal, and only served to decrease other stations.  A preselector.
The R8B is quite resistant to overload, so it wasn't needed.  Regeneration
may be useful, however.

> We used a 6 foot wire BBL at last year's LBI DXpedition in NJ and other
> than needing a preamp, which will be available this year, it was very
> worthwhile. I believe we pretty much aimed it for peak toward Europe
> and it worked equally well for MW and LW.

I have used wire loops with mediocre success.  One reason this works is that
the copper tubing has an extremely low RF resistance.  The toroid simply
serves as a voltage step up transformer for the single turn loop "winding"
This also is self-supporting and easier to handle than the wire loop.  If I
can find the appropriate pieces of 1 5/8" coax hard line, I may try to build
a shielded variant of this loop.  That would be hard to accomplish with
plumbing supplies, but coax hard line could work well.  I'll see..

I will also see just where it seems to drop off on the high end.  I suspect
the low end will be limited only by the composition of the toroid.

Craig Healy